Why resort to caulking fire seals?
The fire barrier caulking system is usually used to seal failed joints. We are talking here about the vertical and horizontal joints linked to the fire protection of buildings.
The objective of such an approach is to secure the various structures of your home or commercial or industrial building. This helps prevent gases, flames and other fumes from further spreading through:
- horizontal and vertical linear structures
This is for example the case with the walls, but also with the floor.
Fire-resistant seals: the standards and regulations in force in Quebec
In Quebec, the regulations concerning fire-resistant joints are governed by “the Régie du Bâtiment du Québec” or RBQ.
Whether you are a professional installing fireproof seals, or an individual wishing to learn more about the operation of this type of system, you can keep yourself informed on approved sealants and fire dampers using the installation guide provided by the RBQ.
It is indeed in this guide that you will discover the test conditions for fire sealants. You will also find the different classifications of seals in force on the market.
It is crucial to understand the safety issue related to the installation of fire barrier caulking. This is why Calfeutrage MJM et Fils only works with premium quality sealants. These meet the ULC CAN / ULC-S115 standards required by the National Building Code of Canada
Precautions when handling a fire sealant
Handling a fire barrier requires following a very specific protocol. Be aware that installing a sealer can be dangerous not only for the user, but also for the environment and water.
Since it is a visible product, it is therefore essential to use specialized technicians to:
- Observe visually if the joint on the material or the surface to be worked is durable.
- Respect the technical and aesthetic requirement so that the visual result during installation is as aesthetic as possible.
It is also important to remember the storage conditions for this type of product. Here are some basic rules:
- Products intended for the installation of fire seals are flammable products. Make sure to place them in places far from a source of smoke.
- Be sure to place the sealant products in cool, ventilated rooms with temperatures between 5 and 25 ° C.
How do you install a fire seal?
The proper installation of a fire seal involves following various crucial steps.
- Step 1: The first step of the installation is to remove the sealant joints at the surfaces and perimeters to be treated.
- Step 2: The experts in the caulking of fire-resistant joints will then take care of cleaning up any remaining cement and mortar. The same goes for any other weathered sealer that could reduce the adhesion of the joints to be put in place.
- Step 3: Once this step has been completed, this is where the laying of fire-resistant wool comes from. The installation of this material is essential to fill all the openings before the actual installation of the joints.
- Step 4: The installation by Calfeutrage MJM et Fils technicians will be done at this stage, thus respecting:
- aesthetic standards,
- technical standards,
- security standards,
- compliance with the quotes in force on the market,
… All for a guaranteed result in terms of caulking. This implies in particular the verification of the quality, but also of the resistance of the fire-resistant joints by means of an adhesion test.
Why entrust us with the installation of your fire-resistant caulking?
If you need an expert in installing fire-resistant sealants, the professionals at Calfeutrage MJM et Fils will be happy to assist you.
You can also call one of the following numbers to benefit from our fire-resistant joint caulking service:
+1 514-779-6959 or send us an email at the following address: email@example.com.
We will do everything in our power to provide you with professional fire sealant caulking services.
See our video here Calfeutrage de joints coupe-feu